Worst Trip of My Life

In my last post I mentioned that we went looking at a car Wednesday (that was in Plainfield) and that we were going to also go look at one Thursday. Both cars were Jeep Cherokees. For those that know me well may remember that I had a red Jeep Cherokee about 5 years ago. The one we looked at in Louisville on Thursday was also red :) We decided that we were going to buy the one in Louisville because even though it is a 2000, it only had 57,000 miles on it. The one in Plainfield is a 2001 with 79,000 miles - both of which are pretty good for being that old. 

So Thursday we both got home early and headed out on the road at 3:45. We missed the rush hour traffic in Indy but hit Louisville traffic right on. We made it to the dealership that was right outside of downtown at about 6pm. We test drove the car and signed the paperwork and were ready to get on our way. We didn't trade my car in because they wouldn't give us enough for it. We decided we are going to try to sell it ourselves. So we drove Clint's truck down there (in case of snowy weather as well as not having to shift in traffic). We stopped at McDonalds to get a quick bite and also get some gas. We were ready to leave at 7:30.

First we got lost for about 10-15 minute. Someone wasn't paying close attention a few times but I thought he knew where he was going. He is usually really good with directions. By some random luck we found our way to 65. We hopped on there and were on our way!

We made it to Indiana pretty quick and then once we had been driving for a little bit, it started to snow and blow hard winds. When I got gas I reset the trip meter so I could check out the gas mileage. Well after we had driven about 30 miles the weather was starting to get pretty sketchy. I was switching lanes because we were passing a truck pulling a covered trailer. I had just checked in with Clint on the phone for a minute and right after switching lanes I hit an icy patch and started fishtailing. I swerved back and forth and then hit the trailer with my passenger bumper then I swerved back left and spun out and made it into the grass median. Luckily I didn't hit anything else like the fence that was a couple feet behind me or any other cars behind me, which all slowed down. I took a minute to collect myself and then put it in 4 wheel drive and drove to the other should where the truck and trailer had pulled off. Clint pulled off in front of them as well. We got out and saw that thankfully the truck and trailer were undamaged - at least from what we could see in the dark and snow. I gave him my name and number and he left. He was very nice and understood that the weather and roads were getting bad - he had to drive all the way to Ft. Wayne. 

Clint and I stood there for a few minutes and looked at my car. We couldn't really see much in the dark but we were both pretty glad I was safe with pretty much no damage. I started to get out of the shocked stage and bawled for a few minutes on the side of the road with Clint but it was freezing and not really safe to stand there so we decided to get back in the cars and drive. Clint asked if I wanted to stop for the night and stay in a hotel but we weren't that far away so I said I'd be fine. 

I put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive and we drove a little slower than we normally would. I ended up leading us two so I could control how fast we were going. For about the next hour the roads were absolutely terrible. I think they were the worst conditions I have ever driven in. It was snowing and extremely windy on top of it being so dark. 65 doesn't have many lights because there are not many major exits or towns. That whole hour I was completely frazzled and terrified, thinking I was going to crash again. Sitting for extended amounts of time has started to become a little uncomfortable on my ribs. So after the two hour drive down there, my ribs were already a little sore. So now they were sore and I was incredibly tense creating a little bit of back pain. All this of course between bursts of tears because I have too many hormones and I had wrecked in my new car.

Finally we made it to Columbus about 10:30. I pulled off because I needed a break and to use the restroom. We sat in Clint's truck for a short bit while I calmed down. Clint asked if we wanted to get a hotel but we were only a little bit away and I just wanted to go home. 

We got back on 65 and within the next mile, we came to a stop behind a long line of traffic. Clint talked to the semi driver next to him and heard that they were pulling two semis out of the median up ahead but he wasn't sure how long this would take. Well almost 2 hours later we finally started moving. We drove several miles, going pretty slow and stopped again for a short while. Then we started through Edinburgh. I saw the exit for 31 kind of last minute and debated getting off there but I wasn't sure if that was the same 31 that went by the Greenwood Mall. 

We drove a few more miles and then stopped again. I called my mom to chat for a few and she checked out the traffic online and told me that there was a line of stopped-ish traffic all the way to Greenwood. I think we were about in the middle of it all. I talked to her a couple different times in an hour and only went 2 miles. At about 2am we finally made it to the exit that was S.R. 44. Clint got in front now since he knew how to get home from there. We took 44 to 31 and were traffic free all the way to 465. 31 in Greenwood was pretty clear making me feel better finally. We got on 465 and it was empty too. We made it home just before 3 am. 

We both went inside and Clint hopped in the shower and I got his things ready for the morning and let the dog out. Zoe was taking forever so I started calling for her. I called three times and then Clint came in the kitchen and saw that the gate outside was open. So now Zoe was out barking in the neighborhood. We both knew that of course this would happen. Thankfully it was freezing ass cold and Zoe ran back in the yard because she wanted in. FINALLY we were in bed just after 3.

Luckily my district was on a 2 hour delay for Friday so I slept in til about 7:30. I think I actually got out of bed just before 8. Teachers are still required to report at 7:30 but I figured my principal would understand - especially if he saw my poor rosy red cheeks in the morning. Wiping tears away all night with the sleeves of a rough sweater do a little bit of damage to your cheeks! 

Clint however did not have a delay! He actually woke up about 6 am and realized he was not going to be able to work safely so he called his foreman and said he would be in to work in a little while. He woke up a around 8:30 and actually didn't feel too bad considering our night. 

So to summarize, Thursday was the night from hell. We are very thankful that we are safe and that there was just a small dent in the car but it was just an awful trip that I hope we never have to experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment